Tuesday 16 March 2010

Snippets in Transit

"Ooh, you look just like Buddy Holly," said Vera.
"Yep, and you're Mary Tyler-Moore," said Tom.
Vera and Tom sat huddled in the corner of a dank little watering hole, watching the afternoon sunlight cast dead skin cells and other humid paraphernalia through the air.
"Put on an argyle sweater and put on a smile," said Vera.
"I pull off your jeans and you spill Jack and Coke on my collar," said Tom.
"Nice," Vera mocked. "I didn't think you'd get that."
"You didn't think I knew The National?"
She smiled at him, her elfish smile that sent off way too many signals for Tom to decipher without a map of the female mind.
"Ok... you are my only girl..."
"What?"
"You are my only girl." Tom repeated.
"Ummm, thanks?" Vera searched his face with a raised right eyebrow.
"It's a song!!" He cried, trying not to laugh.
"Oh, I thought you were coming onto me for a second, oh yeah, Hot Hot Heat. Talk to Me, Dance with me"
"What's the line though?"
"I am your only girl, but I'm not your only girl."
"Would it be such a bad thing anyway?"
"Would what?"
"Nevermind."
"No," she smiled. "What's a bad idea?"
"Nothing, ok... another one "making love in the afternoon..."
Vera was staring at Tom with piercingly large eyes, dishes, little satellites of blue that had made many a man before feel their tract, "...with Cecilia up in my bedroom, i got up to wash my face, when I come back to bed someone's taken my place."
"That was quick,"
"I love that song, how about 'I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me'".
"I wanna be adored!" Tom shouted, a little louder than he'd anticipated.
They both laughed.
"Awww, I know you do," Vera said eventually, before sending them both laughing again, and then adding. "It wouldn't be, you know. Such a bad thing."
"What wouldn't?" Tom asked, almost crying in laughter.
"If you were coming on to me."
Tom slowed his hysteria with a few final chuckles, and composed himself. He searched those features of hers briefly and before he could even decide whether or not to speak she had met his lips with her own.
Suddenly the bar started playing What Difference does it Make by The Smiths.

No comments:

Post a Comment